Friday 16 June 2017

Lands End to John O'Groats Day 3 - The Tarmac Cliff

Day 3 Morning

I woke up on day 3 after a really crappy sleep, I'd been tossing and turning all night because I was aching all over from the physical effort on the previous day and I had struggled to switch off from the thoughts of failure. Day 2 had scared me, was I just making an idiot of myself thinking I could push the length of the country without training for it? Was I going to let everyone down who had put in a lot of effort to get me to that start line? I was happy to see the weather had improved when I opened the curtains, I needed a little bit of a boost.

Happy to be pushing in the sun. Click for larger image.

I'd finished day 2 early because I was struggling on another big hill and as I hadn't reached the target we'd had to drive along the route to get to the campsite, that meant I had seen just how big the first hill was. It was another beast so I'd decided to get up earlier to give me more time to get to the start and get up this hill, Nick wasn't best pleased and it took us a few attempts to get him out of bed. I think he was feeling it as much as me, he isn't sporty and at that point he wasn't interested in looking after his body. It meant a lot that he was putting himself through pain to help me out. Once we got through the morning routine we were on our way back along the course to my start position, so I got two chances to check the hill out.
The bright sunshine, dry clothes and a full belly put me in a better frame of mind for this first hill. After dreading it all night I smashed it. A hill that would have taken well over an hour if I'd tackled it in the rain at the end of day 2 was conquered in less than 15 minutes. I made real progress after that and enjoyed clicking off the undulating miles.

Another hill heading towards Dartmoor. Click for larger image.

At around 7.5 miles Ed went ahead to check out a duel carriageway we had seen on the map the day before which would lead us to a town called Liskeard. When he returned we had a quick chat and decided to go around it as it looked busy and there wasn't a hard shoulder. Ed said to follow a road that ran parallel to the duel carriageway and turn left when I saw Jewsons. The parallel road drops a long way below the duel carriageway. I loved the long, fast downhill for the first minute or so. It felt great to be moving fast again but then I started to worry thinking that all this altitude I was losing meant I would have to climb again soon. Once Nick spotted Jewsons we took the left turn which was going uphill, it went through a tunnel under the dual carriageway so we couldn't see far ahead. Once through the tunnel we could see two lanes one steep one to the left and one to the right that was so steep it looked like a bloody tarmac cliff. I looked at Nick, Nick looked at me, I said "surely its the one to the left" Nick replied with "I think it might be the one on the right fella" Ed had parked up the motorhome and ran back to us to tell us it was the tarmac cliff I was going to have to tackle. I wasn't even sure if I could push up a hill this steep without the chair tipping up. I did consider pushing back to the dual carriageway instead of trying to get up this wall of tarmac. In the end I went for it, I grabbed my wheels and turned them quarter turns again, saying the quotes from Brian at the trustees meeting I wrote about in an earlier blog. I would do one quarter turn for each of the words in his quotes "if you fail it could damage DW and JA good names." I wanted to use the anger those nasty lines of his created to get up that hill. I followed each of his quotes with a push for each of the words "I can and I will"
 Nick was great with me, he gave me tons of encouragement each time I inched forward. He was there to catch me each time I rolled backwards. He took the strain and held the chair still when I needed to let go and stretch my arms out. On the second half of the tarmac version of Big Ben I also had Ed at my side shouting at me and keeping me motivated, he'd parked the motorhome at the top and walked back down to help.

The Tarmac Cliff! Click to Enlarge.

We were passed by a handful of cars, they looked at me like I was mad. Ed explained to a few of them what I was doing and got some to sign as witnesses to say they had seen me on route moving under my own steam. Later that day one of the people that passed me had posted on a Liskeard local facebook page. There were lots of comments from people saying they don't even walk up the lane its so steep and just being impressed and bemused as to how and why I was going up this lane. Unfortunately I had to ask an admin for the page to take the post down as I was still pushing in secret although it was nice to read all of the comments on the post. At the top of the hill I was gagging for a brew - like every true northerner after they do something difficult! We all sat in deckchairs in the sun drinking brews and having a snack whilst discussing how bloody steep the detour had been.
  we set off again and Nick tried his best to cheer me up by singing and chatting at me. I was knackered so I had my head down a lot of the time and I didn't really talk much. I knew that I needed to get to 18 miles during this push to stand a chance of getting my mileage target so it was a case of getting my head down and grinding this out, just keep pushing. Nick's constant talking was entertaining me, at one point he said "you're doing great pal, you're nearly at Styves" I wasn't sure what he meant so I carried on pushing and at the next junction he said "Styves is down that road" I asked him why he was going on about this Styves place and he told me that it must be a big place because it is in big letters on the road signs. I'd never heard of it..... Until the next road sign when I spotted St. Ives! HAHA! He had me in stiches the bloody idiot! I asked him if he thought they sold £13.60 fish and chips in Styves?
At 20 miles done we found a layby to stop in for lunch, cheese sandwiches dipped in tomato soup, so wrong but so right!
Me and My Shadow!


Day 3 Morning Stats

Miles: 19.95
Time: 3:13:12
Average Moving Speed: 8.2mph
Top Speed: 39.7mph
Slowest Mile Split: Mile 10; 33:29
Fastest Mile Split: Mile 9; 2:19
Total Ascent: 2,103ft (oooooooooouch)
Average Heart Rate: 149bpm
Max Heart Rate: 178bpm

Day 3 Morning Progress Maps




Day 3 Afternoon

During the afternoon push I went through the absolutely stunning Tavistock, I'm so glad that Ed got some photos of me in the town centre and by the college. The college is an ex boarding school and is a beautiful building but somehow I had completely missed it. When Ed showed me photos for the day he couldn't believe I hadn't seen it!

Tavistock Town Centre


Tavistock College that I completely missed seeing!

After Tavistock we began to make the climb in to Dartmoor national park. It was a bright and sunny day, such a contrast to the day before. The views were breath taking. In the park itself the road snaked its way up a hillside, Ed needed to drive quite a way ahead to find somewhere to park. When we reached him both Nick and myself were out of drinks and energy gels, I had sweated a lot in the sun so I also needed an electrolyte drink. I decided to carry on pushing whilst the lads were mixing the drinks and sorting out snacks. I was on a hill so it was slow progress but it wasn't steep enough that I would roll backwards. About 10 minutes after I left the lads an elderly lady pulled over just ahead of me and ran back towards me to ask if I wanted to be towed to the top of the hill! I really did want to be towed but I declined the offer and explained what I was doing and that I was raising money for The 53 Foundation so she pulled out a £20 note and put it in my bag tied to the back of the chair! She wished me luck and then got on her way. Only a few seconds after that a wheel appeared at the side of me I thought it was Nick so I said hello without looking up at him but when he spoke back I realised it was someone else. He said he was a professional cyclist and that I was mad to be tackling this hill without gears and only using my arms. I told him it was nothing compared to where I had been that morning and I described the tarmac cliff to him, he knew exactly where it was and couldn't give me enough praise for getting up it. He cycled along side me chatting away until Nick returned, then he wished us luck and shot off on his fancy bike.

Dartmoor. Beautiful but Painful! Click to Enlarge.

 I made it up a couple more hills and then called it a day at 15 miles in the afternoon session and 35 in total for the day. That put me ahead of schedule again, I was out of Cornwall and in to Devon. Cornwall had been utterly beautiful, somewhere I want to go and explore more but I definitely wasn't sorry to see the back of it on my challenge. Hello Devon!
 Elouise had found some campsites near our estimated finish position during her lunch break at work and my dad had phoned around them and managed to get us another free pitch for the night at  Lydford Caravan and Camping Park. This campsite was set in a lovely little village and it had great views up into Dartmoor. When we arrived the owners came to say hello and to have a chat about the challenge, I mentioned how difficult I was finding the hills - especially in the rain. She asked Our route for tomorrow and told us it would be very hilly and rain was forecast. She told us that we would be better taking the ex railway line that had just been tarmacked as it was relatively flat and would take us straight to Oakhampton which is where we were heading. Whilst I went for a shower Ed went to the office to speak with the owner and have a look on maps where exactly this ex railway was. After we ate our amazing spagbol dinner cheffed up by Ed in the pans he'd managed to find time to buy during the day we walked Bonnie down to the old railway line do see if it was suitable to use. It was just about wide enough for a race chair, we might get problems if we met people on bikes coming in the opposite direction but we decided to risk it.
   Ed had also picked up some herbal sleeping tablets for me on his shopping trip, I was in desperate need of a decent sleep. For one reason or another it was now 10 days since I'd had a decent sleep! I got in bed at 7:30PM feeling really guilty at leaving Ed and Nick working on taping my wheels and my gloves up, washing up, washing and drying clothes and more. They needed sleep too but I was shattered after 35 miles pushing and climbing over 3,500ft - a mountain is any hill over 2000ft!

Day 3 Afternoon Stats

Miles: 15.27
Time: 2:32:19
Average Moving Speed: 6.6mph
Top Speed: 34.8mph
Slowest Mile Split: Mile 5; 21:37
Fastest Mile Split: Mile 3; 2:48
Total Ascent: 1472ft
Average Heart Rate: 152bpm
Max Heart Rate: 172bpm

Day 3 Afternoon Progress Maps





Total Daily Mileage: 35.25

No comments:

Post a Comment