Saturday 24 June 2017

Lands End to John O'Groats, Day 11 - A Helpful Farmer.

Day 11 Morning

Politics Bit (scroll past if you're not interested)

After a hot and sticky night I woke up on the morning of the 24th and checked my phone like normal. Only I had to do a double take, the votes had been counted and we were coming out of the European Union. This isn't a political blog, I struggled deciding if I should write about the referendum but it was something extremely important that happened during my challenge and I think it's important to show that best mates can have opposing views.... I wasn't sure how to feel about it, it was the first time I'd ever not voted. Both Ed and I had decided that as we would have voted the opposite way to each other we wouldn't bother driving all the way home to vote. It still didn't sit right with either of us, I feel pretty strongly about voting. I would rather somebody vote for the polar opposite to what I want to vote for than have them not vote at all. Me and Ed were the first two up like normal and my first question was had he seen the news, he had and I could see he was upset about it. Ed loves to travel, he likes meeting new people, he speaks Spanish and has plenty of other reasons to vote remain. I'd sat on the fence for much of the referendum campaign but eventually fell on the leave side. Not because of the silly bus that everyone seems to think is the only reason other than racism that people voted leave, the first thing that started to sway me was Cameron telling us all that ISIS wants us to vote leave, really? Threatening us with terrorism if we don't vote remain? After that stupid comment I started to open up to the leave arguments and thought it was ridiculous that a career criminal with no qualifications from Europe could move to the UK far easier than a consultant brain surgeon from Canada, Australia or India could. I resented being called racist for wanting some sort of control on immigration from Europe, even though the vast majority of Europe is actually the same race as myself. I didn't want a stop on immigration, I just wanted us to have some sort of control on it. I'd encourage more immigration for highly skilled job posts that need filling and I don't care what colour or nationality these people are. When it came to the trade arguments I also thought that trading on better terms with American, China, India and other enormous and growing markets seemed a better idea than solely focusing on a block of countries that had shot themselves in the foot by setting up a single currency for countries with very different economies. I just couldn't find an argument for remain that I was happy with, when I vote for my MP I am voting for someone to represent me, I want that person and their colleagues to run the country, that way my vote really counts and if I don't like how they work I can vote against them next time. That's not quite how the EU works, the elected representatives represent huge numbers of people so they are too far detached from your average voter. Worse than that for me is the large number of unelected officials that run the EU.
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the vote to leave I was really conscious that I didn't want to gloat, I knew there would be a lot of people feeling scared for their futures - there had been a lot of horror stories of what could happen if leave won. I didn't want to celebrate when Ed was so pissed by the result. Ant and Nick got up as myself and Ed were still talking about the vote. Ant was fuming, I'm not sure if Ed understood my thinking or not but Ant really didn't, I think it's harder to see both sides of an argument when you are younger. The older I get the less I agree with any side of any political argument, it's all about finding what closest fits your views and experiences. Nick wasn't interested at all. He came out with some sort of bullshit about voting not making a difference, that is one of my biggest triggers. I don't care who you are, voting matters and by not voting you are shitting on the graves of all those who lost their lives fighting for your right to get the vote and keep the vote. If you can't find a person, party or answer to vote for then spoil your paper but get of your arse and go to the polling station. There are still people around the world dying whilst trying to secure the vote for the citizens of their country.

Back to the challenge

We'd avoided any arguing over the referendum and talked about the plans for the day. Ant was getting the train home so he could collect some more clothes for him and Ed due to them now staying for the whole trip, He also had some other bits to sort out at home before he rejoined us. Ed also needed to take the motorhome back to the suppliers in Preston so they could check what was wrong with the fridge and the air-conditioning. This would mean Nick and I would have no support vehicle for most of the morning. We packed Nick's rucksack with extra spares that we had normally kept in the motorhome, spare tyres, first aid kit, lots more energy bars, double the drinks and lots of tools. It must have been quite a weight on his back! He was like a little pack horse but he didn't complain at all, like always he was happy to help.We were less than half a mile from the A6, I learnt the way we needed to go from the maps and once on the A6 I knew it was just a case of getting as far along it as I could.

Ready to leave on Day 11

Elouise and I had done a training session over by the A6 earlier in the year. I knew that although it is a very busy road it was a wide road so there would be plenty of room for people to overtake. There are cycle lanes for large parts of the A6 too so we wouldn't need Ed to shelter us from traffic. I was a little nervous about not having access to my full tool kit and all of my spares but it was a case of either go it alone or miss the morning push whilst the motorhome was being repaired.

On our way to the Lakes

 When we set off we immediately hit traffic, maybe I should have pushed out to Fulwood roundabout the previous day. It was road works on the roundabout that had caused all the traffic. Luckily it made crossing the roundabout much safer as the traffic was only crawling along. As soon as we'd crossed the roundabout and joined the A6 the traffic died down on our side of the road but those heading towards Preston were queuing. We were again getting lots of support, Nick was stopping to get donations from queuing cars. A few people who had over took us pulled in further down the road to encourage me as I went past and give Nick a donation. The A6 is a cracking road to push along, a good road surface, few bends and plenty of space for cars to get around you. I was batting along nicely, Nick was having to work this morning each time he stopped to accept a donation he was telling people who I was, where I had come from and where I was going to, that I had got much further than other people who had attempted it in the past and what the 53 Foundation was all about. I have to admit that every time he pulled over I was putting in a little effort, Nick was having to chase me down with added weight on his back today. He didn't have much longer on the challenge before he was leaving us so I was having a bit of fun pushing him a bit harder.
Whilst on the A6 we passed the halfway mark for the challenge, somewhere near Gisburn. That was a bit of an anti-climax. There is no big fanfare or anything to mark the spot because there is no set route for Lands End to John O'Groats so each person's half way is different. Ed wasn't back with us yet so we couldn't even have a halfway brew! Around Gisburn we had an increase in cars giving encouragement; Ed had been using his time at the motorhome place to phone radio stations in the area and they had been talking about me on the airwaves!
  We got all the way to Lancaster and Ed still hadn't got back to us, Nick phoned him from a traffic island in Lancaster's one way system. We had lost the road signs for the A6 and I knew the road we were on was heading for the coast and Morecombe. Ed managed to direct us around the one way system, over the River Lune and back to the A6. Ed was already on his way back to us but he didn't catch us until Carnforth, we decided to stop for lunch not long afterwards. There was a truck stop so we pulled in there for beans on toast.

Starting to get hilly



Day 11 Morning Stats

Miles: 28.30
Time: 2:29:27
Average Moving Speed: 11.4mph
Top Speed: 26.5mph
Slowest Mile Split: Mile 24 - 7:23 (by far my fastest 'slowest mile' so far)
Fastest Mile Split: Mile 25 - 3:48
Total Ascent: 826ft
Average Heart Rate: 144bpm
Max Heart Rate: 163bpm

Day 11 Morning Progress Maps




Day 11 Afternoon

Since I first decided to do Lands End to John O'Groats I had been crapping my pants about the route I should take through the Lake District.

After lunch and we are still undecided how to get through The Lakes

I'd been told over and over again by doubters that I would struggle on the climb from Kendal to Shap. I'd been up to The Lakes with Nick earlier in the year to try and find my way through the Cumbrian mountains without going over any of them. We were unsuccessful, The route we mapped was very hilly. The dream team had tried looking for a flatter route. My club at the time had also tried looking for a way through, it looked like heading for Windermere would be the best bet and even during our lunch break and start of the afternoon push the plan was head for Windermere.

County 13 Cumbria

 The afternoon push was starting to get a bit more hilly but I was better at dealing with them now so I kept good pace. At the 12 mile mark Ed had parked up and was waving at us like a mad man. We stopped to see what he wanted, one of the campsites he had tried to get us booked in to had been really interested in what I was doing, the owner was a farmer and also a life long cyclist. He had promised Ed that LEJOGers build Shap up in their minds as some sort of make or break hill. He had said it is tough and it is long but it is also the best route to take and any other route would be much longer and contain several steep hills. He was adamant we should head for Shap. The same campsite owner had found us a pitch on a chalet park where a chalet was about to be built. He had no space to put us up that night at his own campsite but his friend that owned the chalet park let us use the building plot. We found a different campsite who would let us use their showers before we headed to the chalet park. As the farmer had helped us out with the plot at the chalet park and he had excellent local knowledge I took his advice and at mile 13 I ignored the turn off for Windermere. I have to admit I kind of winced as I didn't turn, thinking what am I doing? I push to Kendal and out of the other side to the NFU building. That was it I was at the bottom of the climb that had been worrying me for 18 months.
It was time to get packed up, have my shower and then do my interview. We then headed to the farm with the chalet building plot we were stopping at. It was absolutely beautiful, each of the chalets had a view out over one of three tarns. It was a cracking setting! The farmer and his wife were really friendly too and made us feel really welcome.


Day 11 Afternoon Stats

Miles: 16.42
Time: 1:37:12
Average Moving Speed: 10.1mph
Top Speed: 29.3mph
Slowest Mile Split: Mile 10 - 9:19
Fastest Mile Split: Mile 9 - 4:04
Total Ascent: 790ft
Average Heart Rate: 145bpm
Max Heart Rate: 163bpm

Day 11 Afternoon Progress Maps





Total Daily Mileage: 44.72

No comments:

Post a Comment