Saturday 4 October 2014

Lisbon Half Marathon Day 3


We have been back to the national stadium again today for our final training session before the race tomorrow, I got in my chair pretty quickly again and started my session. Just a 5 km and a couple of starts. Then I sat back and watched the others get carried away. Some lads did a half marathon in training yesterday, I feel a bit sorry for people who do things like that; it's either nieve or stupid. If I attempted a half marathon less than 48 hours before a big race and less than 24 hours after arriving in a country 20°c warmer than home Jenny would beat the crap out of me and rightly so! If you feel the need to get some extra miles in the tank so close to an event then you can't be all that confident in the training you have done. Even if you do those 13 miles steady you are still draining your body of fluids and in disability sport the effects of dehydration are exaggerated by some conditions. One of these lads got carried away again today in training, it's car crash TV.  I noticed he looked a bit uncomfortable as he was going round the track, not long after everybody on the track ended up in one group and the athlete in question ended up hanging on to the group lap after lap.  He hadn't considered the others in the group were all athletes who live in hot countries, they started their sessions 15 minutes after he started his session, they hadn't done a half marathon the day before and the next slowest in the group has a marathon pb 15 minutes faster than his! What was he thinking? Maybe he wasn't thinking at all. I mentioned yesterday about how easy it is to get carried away on that track, it's so fast but part of sport is knowing when to hold back! I get on well with the lad in question, it's hard to watch people you like make mistakes but maybe I am wrong - tomorrow will tell!  The Spanish lads were looking in fine form, they will be out front in the morning.
After training we returned to the hotel for dinner or lunch if you are posh. Three courses for every meal so far in Portugal,  I am definitely going to be well fueled in the morning. I can't normally eat in high temperatures but the food here is so good that I always eat a lot.
Then it was time to have a tour of the course, I remember last year being confused because the tour starts at the 12km mark, goes on to the start, then the finish and finally km 3 to 8 before leaving the route. This year it made perfect sense and I was also able to help Sammy out with the course. It looked as though a lot of the roads have been relayed and most of the pot holes filled in which should help us all finish. The cobbles at the end are still there and the cobble speed bumps are still there too... I still would like to know who speeds on cobbles?
Next up came the technical meeting, they just pointed out the hazards in the race, gave the final instructions for tomorrow and then handed out  the numbers etc.
My chair and helmet have the numbers and chips on them, I'm taped up, tyres are pumped up. All there is left to do before the race is sleep.. talking of which.. g-night.

No comments:

Post a Comment