Thursday 2 October 2014

Lisbon Half Marathon Day 1

After a bit of a panic last night at the gym I'm currently sat on the plane on the way to Portugal.
Yesterday was absolutely manic, I finally got my compensation for being run over 18 months ago and decided to do some good deeds with it. Dad's been struggling for cash again because his wife is a lazy bint who refuses to get a job even though there is cock all wrong with her other than a work shy attitude. Anyway, after deciding she wanted another dog for my dad to feed,  walk and pay for kennelling whilst he took her on holiday to Norfolk in a campervan (aren't campers meant for families with pets?) My old man has been left skint with no transport to get to work to pay for her bone idle lifestyle.  He'd been getting himself worked up about it and been walking everywhere and relying on lifts which were making his working day even longer. Dad doesn't mind walking, in fact he quite enjoys it, but the problem is the cold damp weather in the valley is playing havoc with his asthma,  he is knocking on the door of 60 years of age and has never been the healthiest of people; colds tend to stick with dad for at least a month! To top it all off he has shattered two vertebrae in his back and slipped a disc, he is waiting for surgery where the doctors will be injecting cement into his damaged vertebrae.  Since the day he slipped on ice last autumn, whilst out running, and jarred his back causing this damage he has only had two days off from his job renevating houses which obviously entails lifting very heavy objects. All the time lady muck has been sat on her lazy arse at home. For the first time in my life I have had the funds to help my old man out and on the way home from alpha on Thursday I passed a tidy little punto which was taxed and tested, had low milage for its year and was pretty cheap. I phoned dad to ask if he wanted me to buy him a car to which he replied "don't you f**king dare!" So I went and test drove it yesterday, bartered the price down and dropped it off at dad's house before he got home from work so he couldn't tell me off. Lazy arse was there when I dropped it off, she came and inspected it but didn't utter the words thank you; I felt like removing all the seats other than the drivers seat so her and her equally lazy daughter couldn't benefit from my gift to my dad but I didn't have the time,  oh well! I left a bit of cash for my mum, step dad and sister too, with strict instructions they had to use it to enjoy themselves and not to pay bills, I wish I had enough money to do that on a regular basis coz it doesn't half feel good you know!
I'd also had to do the final bits of jobs before my trip to Portugal yesterday which meant three trips to Rawtenstall as I hadn't realised I needed ID to get my own money out of my account, I'd been to work and run a few errands and completely forgot to eat lunch. When I got to the gym to train I felt really run down and totally lacking in 'umph' which was completely my fault for not eating for 10 hours! What a tool! I tried my best to lift, I even equalled a PB on incline bench but after that my arms had had it and I had no zip. Dan tried to adapt the session to keep me going but we ended up abandoning weights and getting on the rollers, I warmed up okay and started the first of four 15 min reps with 30 second sprints every 2 min  fairly strongly but by 8 min in I had faded badly. I was in a terrible position, aching all over and I felt like I was going to faint. Dan kept asking if I was okay to which he kept receiving the reply "yeh" I was lying of course! I finished the rep but Dan now knows me too well and he wheeled my day chair over to me and said "you know as well as I do sometimes training isn't the right thing to do!" He told me not to beat myself up about it but he knew I would, he then left the room for 5 min or so - I think he probably knew I needed to calm down before I had a conversation. It was the most worked up I have been in a session in my chair and tears/throwing things weren't that far away. Once back in the room he got the massage table out and had a look at my back. He found a very sore rib and a nasty trigger point. My confidence was now in tatters, shitty session and a very sore back that I could do very little about now Dan wasn't able to travel to Portugal with me.
We quickly hatched a plan for me to drive home get showered to remove the massage oil (Swiss quality massage oil no less!) Then get back to Alpha as fast as possible for Sanjay to tape me and then on to Dan to pick up an electronic massager, AKA the electricution machine. Sanj almost exposed my backside to the kickboxers as they came charging in to the room, thank god he is good at covering people back up in a split second. He's far too well practiced if you ask me. Dignity almost intact I left alpha and shot up to Dan's for massage thingy ma jig and left with a pep talk that was almost up to Jenny Archer MBE standard, he'll definitely have it at the boss's level in another 40 years and he will still have 2 years on Jen! I think Dan is a bit of a Churchill wannabe. Seriously tho it is nice to have somebody that believes in you enough to do what him and Sanj do for me, he's still a twat tho.
After my send off speech I drove home and started packing, yes I am male and I leave everything until the last minute. I had to take the chair in bits to pack that which is a massive ball ache but after everybody laughing at the size of my box last year I cut it down to match the others. I got my tea about 10 and finished packing by 11. This morning wasn't too bad, got here okay and the box didn't cause too many problems. I have managed to sit next to a reet plonker though and a nosey one at that! He is about 60 years old, wearing a Dickiebow and a beige suit, he has no manners (middle class twonks who don't say please and thank you and force burps out whilst drinking red wine should be thrown out without a parachute), worst of all he has watched a documentary in silence on my tablet as I have earphones in and he has read every word of this blog!
Later at the hotel. ...
I'm rooming with Justin! Yay! Justin is sound, think I mentioned that in another entry maybe? That's the good news, the not so good news is that part of my day chair didn't get to Portugal, boooo!  Luckily it's not a vital part just a nice to have part. The downright shitty part is Justin's carbon fibre wheels have been written off in transit, that is £1500 down the swanny and he will need to race on some borrowed wheels now! Gutted for him!
It was so nice to meet up with Joào again, he truly is the world's best race organiser, he leaves nothing to chance; absolutely every detail is meticulously planned. Also his deputy Paulo is cracking, nothing is too much trouble for him. They make an unstoppable team. Apart from chats with Justin, Joào and Paulo I have reassembled my chariot and been for a wander round the hotel and gardens... I took lots of photographs, mainly to show Dan what he is missing out on! Mwahahahaha!! We had an amazing evening meal; a strange but delicious soup that was a kind of mint and pea soup but with chicken, almonds and boiled egg in it, followed by sea bass and sweet vegetables. We had an iced peach and lemon desert. The food was a million times better than last year, full marks! We ate with Sammy Kinghorn and her family who are really nice they had us giggling, it was strange to be in such a small group as the others arrive tomorrow and Saturday.
  Right that's me typed out for the day and Justin is snoring his tits off so I am going to find something to stuff in my ears or failing that something heavy to belt him with.

No comments:

Post a Comment