Thursday 5 June 2014

Bad day at the track

Today I found out what happened to my wheelchair and why it has been making creaking noises. I had gone to the track at Burnley to train and after a long warm up I began my reps but I started hearing my wheel catching again. It's so annoying when that happens to me, it last happened at the national championships in the 1500m and it cost me a lot of time. Tonight as soon as I got up to speed for my reps I could hear the same noise again. It sounds like the squelching noise you make when you walk through deep, wet mud wearing wellies as a kid.
When I got out of the chair to have a look at what was happening. I could of cried when I saw the crack that had appeared. It runs round the weld that joins the wheel arch to the U frame (the U frame joins the wheel arch to the main shaft of the chair) I am not sure if it can be fixed.
  I have had a lot of problems with my chair since being run over by David Holmes whilst out training. I was pushing along Broadway in Helmshore whe the driver pulled out of a side street on the opposite side of the road. He crashed in to me and carried on driving even though I was punching the side of his car. Eventually I was flipped upside down and the driver still carried on for another 50m or so.
  David Holmes was found guilty of driving without due care and attention, given a small fine and six points on his licence.  I had dislocated my shoulder, damaged my collar bone - permanently, wrote off a set of wheels and damanged my chair frame which was brand new at the time.
  Over a year later I am still pushing a damaged chair which is affecting my training and racing. I've had to miss most of a session tonight because of the damage. It's totally disheartening :(

Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment