Wednesday 14 June 2017

Lands End to John O'Groats Day 1

Day 1 Morning.
This was it, the day had arrived, 10 weeks earlier than expected. No long distance training that would be any use to the challenge, no support vehicle with flashing lights to keep me safe, no horde of cyclists to keep me company, no send off party. Just the motorhome, two of my best mates, Bonnie the dog and some good luck messages from the handful of people that got me to the start line to give me any chance of pulling this off.
 We woke up at about 08:00 to start getting ready. It was a bit of a struggle on that first morning to try and work out who was doing each job. We hadn't had a dry run with having the date change and we were one person short of my ideal plan of having 2 drivers one for the motorhome and one for the support vehicle which I'd planned to have drive behind me wherever possible. That was an extra pair of hands missing, a pair of hands which would have been very handy for all the small tasks in the mornings. Making breakfast, taping my hands, mixing supplements and hydration powders, sorting out GoPro cameras, learning route prompts, lots of little jobs.
  On day 1 I had a chocolate protein porridge for breakfast, again something else I would have liked to trial before the challenge itself, I love porridge (I have Scottish blood - loving porridge is part of the DNA) but this stuff was foul. I shovelled it down anyway as I knew I would be needing every last drop of energy. Nick isn't a fan of breakfast, well Nick isn't a fan of food full stop, but to be fair to him he had been listening to my nagging him on the drive down that he would need to force himself to eat breakfast. He hadn't cycled more than 15 miles before and he was about to cycle 33miles a day each day until we crossed the Scottish border. I was worried he wouldn't make it and I desperately needed him to as he was my only support rider - I had no other options.
 Once we'd finished all the prep we could at the campsite we made our way to Lands End. We arrived to find 20 or so cyclists nervously getting ready to start their own  journey. A few said hello but nothing more than that, I think they were all shitting themselves. I felt oddly at ease with the whole thing, there was a little bit of stress whilst trying to show Ed and Nick how my race chair was put together but once that was done I was fine. Lands End is a bit commercial, it has a huge carpark and gift shops, cafes, the last house, the last hotel, etc etc. It took us a few moments to find the famous sign post and when we did find it I was shocked to see a fence around it, a kiosk and a charge of £10 to pose for your photo next to the sign! Nick stumped up the cash and we all posed for the photos, Bonnie included!




Photos done, final check of the two video cameras and away we went at 10:05AM. It was a bright sunny day but not too hot, pretty much perfect for pushing in. The plan to reach my 33 miles per day was split into 20 to 23 miles each morning and 10 to 13 miles in the afternoon to finish off the daily mileage quota. The first 5 miles were relatively flat, a few small inclines and declines but nothing to worry about. Me and Nick hadn't practiced pushing and cycling together before and there were a few teething problems, mainly Nick not being able to cycle in a straight line and getting too close to my hands or trying to fit into spaces that weren't there. Also at 5 miles in I needed to stop to remove the camera from my helmet as the added weight was giving me neck ache, I mounted it on the chair instead as I didn't want a slight ache to turn into an injury in a few hundred miles time. No major problems, just things that could have been sorted before setting off if we had been able to stick to the time frame we wanted to.
We headed straight to Penzance as planned but at 8.7 miles myself and Ed decided that the A30 was a no-go. There were heavy road works the night before during our journey down, there is no hard shoulder on what is in essence a motorway and there were no cycling signs up. We'd quickly plotted another route through the west country and asked Natalie, one of the chosen few volunteers at home, to check if she could find a flatter route than we had. Whilst we waited for news on alternative routes I carried on pushing, making great progress as the route had become mainly downhill at this point. Penzance was beautiful but the traffic was a nightmare. It didn't really hold me up but the Motorhome got stuck in it. At 12.7 miles in I decided to stop to refuel with an energy bar and refill our drinks, we were making really great progress so a quick break was well deserved. We stopped on the coast road and I posed for photos with Saint Michael's Mount in the background before we headed off again.


 From Saint Michael's we had 5 miles almost continuous uphill to Ashton, followed by a couple of very fast downhill miles, including a mile I covered in 2:00min, to finish the morning a one mile uphill section which got me to the outskirts of Helston where we parked up for lunch having ticked off 22.5miles.
 As soon as I finished my push I ate a MyProtein protein flapjack and had a recovery drink. Ed cheffed up some couscous for lunch, it tasted great and was filling so I was happy. Nick looked at us like we were trying to poison him! Bless him, he tried his best to eat it. He was really excited about what we had done that morning, he'd already gone further than ever before. He kept telling Ed how fast I was going downhill and how he was struggling to keep up with me. It was great to see him excited but we needed to save energy so as soon as we had eaten we had a nap.

Day 1 Morning Stats
Miles: 22.5
Time: 2:09:41
Average Moving Speed: 10.9mph
Top Speed: 39.5mph
Slowest Mile Split: 22nd mile; 11:54
Fastest Mile Split: 21st mile; 2:00
Total Ascent: 1566ft
Average Heart Rate: 161bpm
Max Heart Rate: 187bpm

Day 1 Morning Progress Maps






Day 1 Afternoon
 The afternoon push didn't go quite as well as the morning push. I felt really groggy after my nap and mustn't have listened to Ed's route description properly, I got slightly in front of the motorhome and took a wrong turn inside the first mile. It took me down a steep hill and I then had to climb back out of the valley I had gotten myself into. Ouch! Instead of roughly 400m on the flat I did almost a mile, half of it climbing a hill steeper than I'd ever climbed in my chair before that point. The next 7 miles were mainly uphill with some really steep parts, even steeper than the detour I had accidentally taken. It was very slow going but Nick kept my spirits up my constantly chunnering on, singing and well, just being Nick. Ed was bunny hopping us in the motorhome beeping as he passed then pulling in down the road, getting witnesses to sign that they had seen me and cheering as we passed him. I kept my mind off the climbing by looking in peoples gardens - I'm a massive garden geek and I was jealous of all the plants the southern softies can grow in their gardens. I felt like a wildling south of the wall! I was so slow in places that I had to let go of my push rims and just grab the tyres an do quarter turns, it gave me more leverage so it kept me going but only just!

 At 8.5 miles I finally got a long down hill which took me to Penryn and my daily milage total but as there was just a small uphill before another long descent I decided to carry on pushing. Ed decided to shoot off to a campsite he had spotted on the route to ask if they would put us up for free. At mile 14 I'd had enough and wanted to stop, I'd got to a big hill and had nothing left. Ed hadn't yet got back from the campsite so I got Nick to phone him and tell him I was goosed whilst I used the time to grind out a few more metres. This is when the extra support vehicle would have come into its own, I was shattered, all of a sudden I got cold and I started to shiver even though it was still a fairly warm day. I had already pushed 36miles that day so I was over target, it was further than I had been in one day before but I just wanted to stop. Another mile and a half later, not far from Truro, we got to a descent but I was so shattered I decided it was dangerous. I couldn't concentrate enough to go down a fast decent so I turned off the road and into a park.. down a very steep narrow lane where I struggled to stop and ended up in the long grass! It was a tree lined lane so there was no sun and I started to get seriously cold. I got Nick to wrap me in a foil blanket and run back up to the road to direct Ed in. It honestly felt like an hour waiting, feeling like utter shite, it was probably no more than 5min. I was saying something like "Come on Ed, Come on Ed, Come on Ed" over and over again whilst waiting for him. Its a good job nobody came down the lane - I'd of been off to the local psychiatric unit if anybody had heard!
 When Ed did arrive him and Nick had to almost lift me into the motorhome, Ed sorted out my chair whilst Nick got me the recovery drinks that I needed and then we were on our way to the campsite. To say they hadn't practiced the end of push routine they were really slick, I think it helped being in an 8 birth motorhome blocking a single track lane. Added urgency! The owners of Carnon Downs Caravan Park had given us a pitch for free, as we pulled in to the site the owner let us know that there would be a fish and chip van on site within the hour that was top quality. We were all shattered so decided to go for the chippy tea rather than start cooking. We parked up and the lads hooked the motorhome up and I headed off to the disabled shower, except I spotted a mahoooosive bath in the room next door so I crawled into that room dragged my chair in behind me and had a long well earned soak. When I got back to the motorhome Ed and I had a good look at the next days new route and we sent Nick to the Chip Van for tea. 15min later I got a call from Nick telling me the fish were £13.60 each, he thought we should have sausage instead. I did say I thought he had got it wrong but he was adamant he hadn't. Ed went to check he had enough money on him and it turned out somehow Nick had read '£' as '1' haha the bloody numpty, I can just imagine everyone else in the queue giggling at this young lad was telling everyone how expensive the fish was. A bloody £ looks nothing like a 1! Haha! It really tickled me. Our £3.60 fish and chips were every bit as good as the campsite owner had said!
  fish and chips shovelled down and then I went to bed. I don't think the lads were far behind me that first night. 38.5 miles in the bank 5 ahead of schedule at the end of day one! Good Work! The only thing that would have made the day better would have been being able to share it with people other than the very small group I'd put together to organise the last minute changes in just five days. The team sent lots of messages of encouragement but it wasn't the same as sharing it far and wide.


Day 1 Afternoon Stats
Miles: 16
Time: 2:11:00
Average Moving Speed: 7.7mph
Top Speed: 34.6mph
Slowest Mile Split: 16th mile; 17:37 (Ouch!!!!!)
Fastest Mile Split: 12th mile; 2:48
Total Ascent: 1,373ft
Average Heart Rate: 149bpm
Max Heart Rate: 173bpm

Total Daily Mileage: 38.5

Day 1 Afternoon Progress Maps




No comments:

Post a Comment